Behold, the Best Side Hustles of 2023
Making money on the side is more popular than ever.
In fact, 45% of Americans report having a side hustle. Wanna join them?
We've rounded up a list of legit side hustles for money. There’s nothing about sleep studies or plasma donations in here. Or a list of apps that lend you money.
Nope. Just good, old-fashioned stuff you can do to make ends meet when you’re strapped. That is if you consider the internet old-fashioned (is it??)
And to clarify, these are all totally on Google (that’s where we found ‘em). You can also look to resources like YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, FB Marketplace just to name a few.
But, please note that if a money-making offer sounds too good to be true, IT DEFINITELY IS. The most common scams involve fake job ads – typically for mystery shoppers 🚨
You’re probably on a time crunch though, so let’s GO 🏇
Online side hustles are a real thing
Believe it or not, there are ways you can just sit in your house and get money (whilst relaxing with your feet up). Well, it’s not exactly as easy as all that, but it’s pretty close.
Online is a bevy of opportunities to get paid for giving your feedback or opinions on services or products.
All you need is time, wifi, and ✨ opinions ✨
Paid online surveys
Ok, so we know completing a couple of paid surveys isn’t exactly gonna pay for your entire summer hols. It’s also not gonna push you to financial freedom overnight, but think of it more as a side hustle – something that’ll help with the weekly food shop. Every dollar counts, right?
We checked customer service review site Trustpilot, and the below survey sites are rated at least 4/5 stars – we’ve also listed them in terms of popularity.
So, without further ado, here's a list of some of the highest paid surveys online:
- Branded Surveys – Participate in surveys and get reward payouts via points. When signing up, you'll be asked some information about yourself – you'll then be sent surveys which match your individual profile. This is more of a slow drip, but you'll get paid via gift card rewards or directly to your PayPal
Branded Surveys review – 4.2/5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Swagbucks – Do stuff you do anyway like search and watch vids, but get some cash for doing it.
Redeem your earnings for free Amazon gift cards and other popular retailers. Check out Swagbucks guide on how to earn your first $50 (also pays through PayPal).
Swagbucks review – 4.3/5 stars on Trustpilot.
- User Testing – Get up to $120 for testing stuff like apps and websites, but you’ll need to give them the time (120mins).
You'll need to spend around 15-20 minutes to sign up for a free account, then you're good to start making some bucks. And just to keep it consistent, User Testing also pays via PayPal
User Testing review – 4.6/5 stars on Trustpilot.
Apparently you can make a decent amount of money just from washing people’s clothes.
Hampr refers to itself as the “Uber of laundry.” Fancy.
And they say their top washers earn an average of $2,000 per month.
🧦 Create your own schedule
🧦 Earn extra money
🧦 Be your own boss
So, how does it work?
Hampr says you'll be paid 70% of each load, and you keep 100% of all tips. Prices per load depend on the location but the price per load generally ranges from $10-15 and you'll receive your pay each week.
Questions? Check our Hampr's FAQs.
Sell stuff online 🌈
This is a cousin of “stay home online” but it requires more time and energy. And things!
We’re talking about books, clothes, and electronics like old phones (just make sure you wipe them omg plz wipe them)
Not only is this a cool thing to do for money, but it’s a cool thing to do for Earth because it keeps older items out of landfills ♻️
Best websites to sell stuff
- Craigslist – Literally ✨ everything's ✨ here. And don’t worry, buying offers are sent to your personal email but your email address will remain hidden from buyers
- eBay – Not yet dipped your toes into the wonderful world of eBay? Here's how to sell stuff on eBay
- FB Marketplace – You’ll need a login, but it’s super easy to sell locally this way. Always confirm that you have received the buyer's payment before you dispatch the item
- Depop – It’s not just for clothes, people sell many different things including books, art, sports equipment – you name it, Depop sells it. You’ll just need to print a shipping label and get boxes ready. First time using Depop? Have a look at our blog on How to make money on Depop
Tip: when you’re doing your weekly food shop, see if the grocery store has any spare boxes
- Poshmark – Very similar to Depop, posting is as easy as on Instagram. If you're new to Poshmark, check out our blog on How to make money on Poshmark
⚠️ And remember, safety first. If you’re meeting up to sell, bring a friend, share your location, and meet in public. If you need any helpful tips on how to staying safe when meeting someone online, have a look at Facebook’s guidance.
Make money by helping your community with local work
So the following options are temporary or seasonal, and availability is dependent on where you live. And some could even turn into something long-term. If this sounds like you, here are some hidden make money fast gems in your community.
Who you gonna call?
- Local tourism offices – do you live by a conservation prairie? A historic landmark? There’s prob temp work in there 🏝
- Local warehouses and big-box stores – check out nearby distribution centers for Amazon or Walmart. They hire for the holidays as early as Halloween 🎃
- Tree farms – you read that right. They’ll need a hand in spring (for growing) and winter (for selling) 🎄🎄🎄🎄
- Events venues – these places need staff, plus you might get paid to catch a concert or show. Check out job boards like Glassdoor and Indeed for advertisements
If you really don't wanna miss out on seasonal work this year, set up a Google alert for the keywords "seasonal hiring" and (your city's name).
Other ways to make cash on the side
These take more time and resources (car, strong references) but could go on as a steady side hustle.
And they might require added resources like references and training, so hone in on gigs that are closer to your experience 🗄
- Food delivery services – you know, apps like Uber Eats, DoorDash, Deliveroo etc 🍔 If you’ve got a bike or a car, it might be worth considering. You could literally be getting paid to do exercise. But if that doesn’t bother you, do it for the tips 🤑
- House sitting – plenty of websites out there for this, but most are local so do some research (hello again, Craigslist)🪴
- Pet sitting – similar to house, but with a pet(s). Many options online including Trusted House Sitters 🐟
Remember: you’re not alone in needing a quick boost. If you were, do you think a major list like this would exist?
And if you’re really struggling and need a paycheck advance, Cleo can spot you up to $100.
If you're looking for even more side-hustle inspiration, check out the ✨Side Hustle Diaries✨ where we speak to real entrepreneurs: the owner of a chocolate company, the owner of an ethical underwear brand, and someone who made $25k flipping sneakers on StockX.
Enjoy this post? Def give it a share or send it along to a friend. You never know, it could make a big difference. And of course, if you want to try the best money app in the world for free, just hit this link right here.
Big love. Cleo 💙