Firstly, what is Fiverr?
Fiverr’s an online marketplace that helps connect businesses and individuals with freelancers who offer services which include graphic design, digital marketing, writing, programming, and more 🔥
The platform launched in 2010 (the very same year Lady Gaga wore the famous meat dress), and has since become one of the largest online marketplaces for freelance services.
Fiverr operates on a gig-based system.
And if you’re unsure of what that means, it’s basically where freelancers can offer their services in the form of "gigs," which are small, defined projects or tasks. Buyers can browse these gigs and hire freelancers to complete them.
There are tons of features Fiverr offers to help make it easy for freelancers and buyers to work together.
These include messaging and project management tools, secure payment processing, and dispute resolution services. It's a popular platform for businesses and individuals who need short-term, project-based work completed, as well as for freelancers who are looking for new clients and opportunities 🖥️
(In between jobs right now? We’ll just mention that Cleo can potentially spot you up to $250*. She’s also the best budgeting app for gig workers. Eligibility requirements apply.)
So, how does Fiverr work?
Here’s a little step-by-step guide to help get you started ✨
- Create an account: Both buyers and sellers need to sign up for an account. You’ll be asked for some basic information (name, email address, password, etc).
- Browse/Search: Buyers can browse through a list of categories or search for specific services they need. If you’re a seller, it’s your chance to show off your skills by creating a profile and listing the services you can offer 💅
- Place an order: Once a buyer finds a service they’re interested in, they’ll place an order by providing project requirements (for example, scope of work, deadline, and budget).
- Payment: Buyers need to pay Fiverr for the services upfront, and the payment is then held until the work is done.
- Work: The seller will then start working on the project. PSA: Try to keep in touch with the buyer throughout the process to make sure you’re meeting (we hate to say it) expectations.
- Deliver: Once the work’s done, the seller will send it over to the buyer.
- Review and feedback: The buyer will check through and provide feedback and rate the seller’s work, which will help build a reputation on the platform.
- Payment release: When the work has been approved by the buyer, the payment is released. Fiverr charges a commission fee of 20%. So for every $5 you make, you’ll receive $4.
- Dispute Resolution: If there’s a dispute during the process, Fiverr offers a dispute resolution system which will help to resolve the issue quickly.
Looking for some inspiration to help you get started? Here’s how this 35-year-old made $1.5 million off a simple Fiverr side hustle 🤑
How to make money on Fiverr for beginners
- Firstly, choose a service to offer: Fiverr has a range of categories and subcategories, so have a look and see which you’re skilled at. Popular categories include graphic design, writing and translation, video and animation, and digital marketing.
- Set up your profile: Your profile is your first impression on potential buyers, so make it look as professional and attractive as possible. You got this. Include a clear description of your skills and expertise, along with samples of your previous work. If you’re a copywriter, photographer, or a graphic designer and haven’t yet set up a portfolio, Journo Portfolio offers a free plan where you can add up to 10 portfolio items 🚀
- Create your gig: Create a detailed and attractive gig that outlines what you’ll do and how much you’ll charge. Include keywords that potential buyers might search for, so your ad shows up in search results.
- Start promoting: Once your gig is live, promote it by sharing on social media, forums, and other online platforms such as LinkedIn. And if you want to, you could also add discounts and incentives whilst you’re starting out to attract more buyers.
- Communicate: Once you start getting orders, it’ll be beneficial for you to communicate with buyers to check if they’re satisfied with your work. This means replying to messages quickly and providing updates on the progress.
- Deliver high-quality work: Your reputation on Fiverr depends on the quality of work you deliver. If you deliver the work on time and make sure it meets the buyer's requirements, you’re winning.
- Get reviews: Positive reviews and ratings help build your reputation, so encourage buyers to leave feedback on your work. It’s also just as important to ask for constructive feedback to help you improve 🙌
Overall, Fiverr requires hard work and dedication. But with the right approach, it can be a great platform to showcase your skills and connect with potential clients from around the world.
If this isn’t your bag, check out ‘How to Make Money Without a Job.’ You could literally make up to $400 a month just by storing other people’s stuff. 📦
So, how much could you make?
Fiverr has over 200 seller categories and the prices you can charge varies. Here’s a list of give of the most in-demand jobs on Fiverr and how much you could earn.
#1 Graphic Design: Starting prices for logo designer gigs range from $5-$1,400.
#2 Website Development: Top sellers can charge from $10 for a simple task to $3,000 for a more complex one.
#3 Translation: If you’re multilingual, you could make a bit of extra cash by translating documents, and you can also tutor people. Top-selling translators can charge over $300.
#4 Copywriting: Some copywriters charge as much as $800 to create a brand story.
#5 Social Media Marketing: As a social media marketer, you could earn anywhere from $100 to $2,500 per gig.
Sounds good, right? Check out GoBankingRates ‘How to Use Fiverr for Your Side Hustle’ for more helpful tips.
Is Fiverr legit?
Fiverr has a solid reputation in the freelance industry. The platform has millions of users, including both buyers and sellers, and has facilitated billions of dollars in transactions.
Fiverr has implemented several measures to ensure the safety and security of its users. For example, Fiverr holds payments in escrow until the buyer approves the work, which helps protect sellers from fraud. The platform also offers a dispute resolution system that helps resolve any issues that may arise between buyers and sellers.
However, as with any online platform, there is always some level of risk involved. Some sellers may not deliver the quality of work they promised, or some buyers may not pay for the work they receive. To minimize these risks, it's essential to do your research before hiring a seller or accepting an order from a buyer.
Overall, Fiverr is a legitimate platform that provides opportunities for freelancers to showcase their skills and connect with potential clients. However, it's essential to be cautious and do your due diligence to ensure a successful experience on the platform.
So yes, it’s legit 🙌
If you have the right skills, Fiverr’s a great place to start if you want to earn some extra cash. It can help you earn as much as you want by doing remote work that you actually enjoy. We’re here for it.
And if you’re a gig worker looking for a cash advance, we’ve got just the thing. There’s no credit checks, and no need for employment verification. Because everyone should be able to apply for a quick spot, regardless of their job.
Enjoy this post? Give it a share or send it along to a friend. You never know, it could make a big difference.
Big love. Cleo 💙
*Cleo Plus is our subscription service, which offers eligible users cashback on your money, information on your credit score, and access to cash advances ("Cash Advance"). Advance amounts will vary based on eligibility. To learn more about eligibility, repayment, and overall terms, please visit: meetcleo.com/terms.